Helpful Alternative Heating Tips for Winter
Another barbecue tip from Fire Glow: remember to not only shut off your barbecue but also to shut off your propane tank. By closing your tank, you can reduce valve leaks and ensure you have enough propane left for your next grilled specialty.
As the weather gets warmer, you won’t be using your wood stove as much as you needed to during the extremely cold weather over the past two months. As we near the end of the burning season, the condition of your chimney is a concern you need to be aware of. Slow-burning wood fires and the burning of poorly seasoned wood create a build-up in your chimney of a tarry substance called creosote. Creosote build-up on the inside of your chimney plugs the opening and causes chimney fires. While snow is still on the roof, it is a challenge to inspect and clean the chimney. To ensure you can still burn wood safely, Fire Glow recommends using Creosote Destroyer© while burning. This powder, when sprinkled on the fire, will change the composition of the creosote from a tarry substance to a crystal form, making it easier to clean the chimney while making it harder for creosote to clog the chimney. Protect your investment, but remember that nothing eliminates a chimney cleaning. Call your favorite chimney sweep to schedule a cleaning for the Spring!
1. Use a whole log in your fireplace. It burns longer than split wood. Use wood seasoned 1-2 years for best results.
2. Don’t over-stuff your stove. It could cause an over-fire and damage the stove.
3. Don’t use the door to push the wood into your stove. The glass will break, it does not bend.
Questions you can ask the Alternative Heating Expert:
1. What is the best kind of wood to burn?
2. How often should I clean my chimney?
3. Can I tap into my fireplace flue and have a stove in another location share the flue?
Fire Glow Distributors Expert Services:
Fire Glow has the largest showroom in the area. We have both factory and industry trained professionals who are eager to educate our customers. We will help you find the stove, insert or accessory that you want, not try to hard sell you something.