Sacred Heart Student Tragically Passes After Eating Contest On Campus
Last night, Sacred Heart University Students gathered on campus in Fairfield to hold vigil and remember a fellow student.
21-year-old Caitlin Nelson tragically passed away a few days after choking on pancakes during a pancake eating contest at a Greek Life dinner Thursday night, according to the Fairfield Citizen.
The Connecticut Post says after consuming four or five pancakes, she started shaking, dropped to the floor, and her pulse went down. Classmates attempted to help her pull the food from her throat. A nursing student administered CPR and others tried the Heimlich Maneuver, but it didn’t help. Nelson was rushed to St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport, where she remained in stable but critical condition.
The Fairfield Daily Voice reports that the college sophomore passed away on Sunday. Our hearts are with everyone at Sacred Heart University in light of this tragedy.