CT State Police: Beware of Scam for ‘Fallen Officer Fund’
File this under, "How Do These People Sleep at Night?" Connecticut State Police have issued a warning of a telephone scam asking for donations for a fallen officer's fund.
Last week, Trooper First Class Kevin Miller was killed in an accident on I-84 when his police cruiser and a tractor trailer collided. He was 49-years-old, and leaves behind a son and a daughter. He was laid to rest this morning.
Connecticut State Police learned yesterday that a fellow Trooper received a phone call asking for a donation for a "fallen officer." Police say that these scams have happened in the past, but not recently, and they believe that this recent scam is trying to capitalize on the passing of Trooper First Class Kevin Miller.
After listening to the shady spiel, the Trooper told the scammer that he was a member of the Connecticut State Police and the would-be swindler hung up. The Trooper called the number but the line did not ring.
Police are urging everyone to never give your credit card, debit card or any bank or personal information to anyone looking for money. A scammer may try to make you feel guilty or pressure you. Police advise to simply hang up.
If you would like to make a donation in memory of TFC Kevin Miller, there are two legit ways to do it.
- Make a check payable to "The Connecticut State Police Union, Inc." with "Kevin Miller Memorial Fund" written in the check memo. That check can be sent to: Kevin Miller Memorial Fund, Connecticut State Police Union, 500 Main Street, East Hartford, CT 06118
- You can also click here for the gofundme page that the CT State Police have set up for TFC Kevin Miller.
All donations will go towards funeral arrangements and given to TFC Miller's two children in the years to come.
Read More Local Stories:
- Your Chance To Win Up To $5,000 or see Jason Aldean in NYC is Here
- Once Thriving Pleasure Beach Is Connecticut's Newest Ghost Town
- 5 Things That Will Make People in Greater Danbury Angry
- Dover Dragons 3-Peat, Top Carmel Rams For Mascot Madness Crown
The Triumphant Return of the Bank Street Book Nook in New Milford:
How to Turn On KICKS 105.5 Mobile App Alerts: