Entire New Tappan Zee Bridge Ready for Opening Very Soon
The Tappan Zee is a new 3.1-mile state-of-the-art twin span bridge across the Hudson River which connects Westchester and Rockland counties. What did it take to build this $3.98 billion dollar bridge?
- 14 miles of main span cables
- 50 miles of foundation pilings
- 300,000 cubic yards of concrete
- 220 million pounds of steel
Come September, traffic heading towards Westchester will move over to the new unopened span. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said:
"The new bridge will improve traffic flow and maximize the economic potential of the region, and is a symbol of New York's ability to accomplish big things for the people of this state."
Once the bridge is finished, it will carry up to 140,000 vehicles each day. Since October 2013, it's taken 7,000 workers more than 9 million hours to build this amazing bridge over the Hudson River.
Read more local stories:
- Danbury Has 6 People Who Have Disappeared Without a Trace
- Bethel Woman Hits Powerball From Greenwood Ave. Car Wash
- Why Is This Neat CT Neighborhood with Dozens of Homes Abandoned?
Have You Tried Kenny's Cooler at Texas Roadhouse in Danbury? 👇
Check Out Tia and Tamara — Their Our ‘Sister, Sister’ Pets of the Week: