11 Iconic Greater Danbury Spots Make Connecticut Magazine’s ‘Best Of’ List
I realize that southern Fairfield County is a hip and happening place to live, but don't leave us northerners out up here in greater Danbury.
Sometimes I feel like greater Danbury gets left out of the mix when a magazine or foodie website are listing some of the 'best stuff' in Connecticut. That's why I've sourced Connecticut Magazine, because they do include greater Danbury, northern Fairfield county and Litchfield County into their findings about all that's 'the best' in Connecticut. The following are some of 'The Best of Connecticut' in greater Danbury.
- Best Bakery - Mothership Bakery & Cafe - 331 Main St. Danbury.
The Mothership is not just a bakery. Mindy and I have enjoyed many a breakfasts at this wonderful establishment. Everything is cooked and baked on the premises. Whatever you do, don't pass up the opportunity to sink your tastebuds into one of their breakfast burritos.
- Best Barbecue - The Cookhouse - 31 Danbury Rd.(Route 7) New Milford
I've lost count of how many times The Cookhouse has won accolades from CT Magazine for best barbecue. My choice, the beef brisket platter.
- Best Barbecue - Hoodoo Brown BBQ - 967 Ethan Allen Highway (Rt 7) Ridgefield
Hoodoo began receiving rave reviews as soon as they opened up shop on May 22, 2015. My favorite, the Hogzilla Sandwich.
- Best Butcher Shop - Butcher's Best Country Market - 125 South Main St. in Newtown
I haven't had the opportunity to patronize this world of meat, but I've heard about how they offer an excellent variety of home cooked meals which are to die for. Check them out by clicking here.
- Best Diners -
Diners are a part of our American heritage.
- Best Ice Cream - Ferris Acres Creamery
Route 302 in Newtown - So many different flavors to choose from and everything is homemade. Bring along Bowser because they even have sweet treats for your best friend. Expect a line of people during the summer season.
- Best Outdoor Bar - Down The Hatch - 292 Candlewood Lake Rd. in Brookfield
This legendary restaurant/bar is right on Candlewood Lake and is perfect for boaters who like to stop in for a burger and a beer. Mindy and I have cruised over hundreds of times which means I think I've contributed to the owner's kids' college fund!
- Best Movie Theatre - Prospector Theatre - 25 Prospect St. in Ridgefield
Not only is this a quaint first run movie theatre but it offers meaningful employment opportunities to individuals with disabilities.
- Performing Arts Venue - WCSU Visual and Performing Arts Center - Located on WCSU's West Side Campus at 43 Lake Ave. in Danbury
CT Magazine calls this new $97 million addition to WestConn absolutely breathtaking.
For all the "Best Ofs" in Greater Danbury and all over Connecticut, visit connecticutmag.com.
Watch the Delicious Magic Happen at Ice Monster on Federal Rd. in Danbury:
Two Local Kittens Need Names and FURever Homes: