Which City Has Been Named the ‘Drunkest in Connecticut’?
When I first saw this article at 247wallst.com, it had me a little worried since Connecticut was number 7 on the list of the 50 states. Then, I thought, "I hope this is alphabetical," and thank goodness it is.
Information collected from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute was used to put this list together. The truth is that Connecticut can't hold a candle to Wisconsin who holds 12 spots of the top 20 drunkest cities in America.
Apparently, there is a three-way tie for Drunkest City in Connecticut so they lumped it all together, and have given the title to the metro area of Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT. I'm not sure if I think that's exactly fair to mix them all together like that, doesn't that skew the numbers? Hey, this is my state! Of course I'm going to be a bit defensive.
Let's take a look at the stats:
- Drunkest city: Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT
- MSA adults binge or heavy drinking: 20.6% (top 25%)
- State adults binge or heavy drinking: 18.6% (18th highest)
- Alcohol related driving deaths: 34.6%
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk is the only metro area in Connecticut in which more than 1 in every 5 adults drinks excessively. Excessive drinking in a community does not necessarily increase the likelihood of drunk driving, but high alcohol consumption may partially explain such risky behavior in the Bridgeport area. Some 34.6% of roadway fatalities in the metro area involve alcohol, higher than both the state and national rates.
Wanna check out how the other states in the union measure up? Click here for the full report
Read More Local Stories:
- Police: Danbury Man Threatens Person With Gun After Argument at Deli
- Teacher From Carmel Found Dead in School Bathroom
- New Milford Puts the Smackdown on Danbury in Gasoline Price Wars
- New Farm-to-Table Restaurant Opens in Newtown
Garth Brooks Opens Up on Missing His Mom + 'Ask Me How I Know'